Tuesday, February 22, 2005

thursday thoughts

I'm reading Steven Runciman's "The Great Church in Captivity." I've always enjoyed reading his books and this one is no exception. This, like his other books that I have read, is detailed without being overwhelming and he works at trying to present a balanced picture of each historical situation.

In other news, the playoffs are sort of a funny time to pick up your third win of the year (against about 14 losses), but it's sort of been a long time coming. We had been playing better and better and we finally put it together. If it's not apparent, I love team sports - especially when the people on the team are good friends and work at it until they become good together. It would have been fun even if we'd lost, but I'm glad we have at least one more game this year.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salut Virgil, uite c-am dat peste blogul tau :) Cu oarecare supriza caci vad ca multe s-au schimbat din vremea cand erai "simplu" doctorand :)

Mult succes in ceea ce faci!

4:53 AM  
Blogger Virgil Petrisor said...

Salutare Adriane,

Imi pare bine ca m-ai gasit. Poate de data asta reusim sa tinem legatura mai bine - poate prin IM, poate prin e-mail :) Sper ca si tie iti merge bine.

Doamne ajuta,
vp

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dar zau ca nu mai stiu ce mail ai, iar pe icq imi pare ca nu mai haladuiesti ca-n vremurile cele vechi, ori nu reusesc eu sa imblanzesc dihania de gaim cum trebuie...

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:31 AM  
Blogger Virgil Petrisor said...

Hmmm... I guess I haven't gotten this blogger thing figured out completely. There was a double post of a comment and in trying to delete the double, I've managed to delete both versions. For whatever it's worth, a brief reply.

I like the "balanced view" approach because it seems like at least an attempt at being honest. It tries to present and analyze the facts - sometimes drawing a conclusion, other times allowing the reader to draw his own. This sort of presentation seems to me to give more freedom to the reader to either agree or disagree.

I wouldn't mind the persuasive approach either if the author laid out his cards first, presented all the facts and then said "OK. These are the facts, this is why I believe this point of view is correct and I think you should, too." However, I find that, more often than not, works which attempt to persuade gloss over a lot of unfavorable data in order to achieve their goal. Maybe I've been reading the wrong persuasive books... :)

In Christ,
vp

8:22 AM  
Blogger Virgil Petrisor said...

I figured out what happened. I tried to "remove forever" the first post and the message from blogger said something to the effect of "operation could not be performed." So I went back and simply deleted the other one, only to realize that the "remove forever" had, in fact, worked and I was left with neither post. grumble.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home