Monday, November 14, 2005

Tag 2

Well, it will certainly be interesting to think about the top ten influences in my life outside of God and family (thanks to the wife). In no particular order.

Fr. George Konstantopoulos whose patience and guidance helped me come to Holy Cross.

Dr. Matthias Scheutz. A brilliant man, extremely dedicated to his craft, with whom I had the following approximate conversation.

Me: "Matthias, I'm not sure I'd want to work as much as you do." [he works probably 65 hour weeks - more around conference deadlines, 50 weeks a year]
He: "I said the same thing when I was in your position about my advisor. But then I adjusted here and there..."

I realized right there how easy it is to slip, little by little into things you would not consider doing if that change had to occur in one step. He was okay with the change, but I did not want to become okay with it. That was one of the deciding moments in my journey away from the world of academia.

Nicolae Decianu, my junior high math teacher, who knew how to approach me and talk to me at a time when I was feeling rather stressed. He also pushed too hard at times, but - maybe also because of that - he makes the list.

Dr. Nelson Passos, on whose door I knocked regularly at 7:00am during the 1998 World Cup, with whom I started doing research (and it was fun), with whom I shared a very enlightening car ride from Wichita Falls to Notre Dame for a conference, and who told me once during a conversation we had about life that "When you think you need to see a shrink, you've been in America too long."

Prof. Richard Simpson, who loves computers, but also loves many other things (I remember orchids, genealogy, philosophy, history) and who also took the time to talk with me when, in undergrad, away from family and putting way too much pressure on myself to do well, I started feeling the stress.

Daniel Stowe, whose dedication to music turned a bunch of seventy rowdy male college students into a very good choir that could, on any given night, turn in a breathtaking performance. I still listen to the few live mp3s that I have of some of our songs and I find myself wondering: Did we really do that?

Pompiliu Aurica, my first basketball coach. He had a way with children and he believed in me when others didn't.

Elena Costea, my elementary school teacher, who had the patience with an unruly kid and who gave me the chance to explore the talent I had at mathematics.

Fr. Teodor Bita, who taught me a very important lesson about the Eucharist and with whom I took my first steps in Byzantine chant.

The Horescus, whom I almost feel like cheating by including here, because they have always treated me like a son.

I am probably forgetting some people, but I reserve the right to modify this at a later time

No outgoing tags at this time.

2 Comments:

Blogger magda said...

Two things:
Dan Stowe: So hot! (It's a requisite comment; his hotness is documented. Who else can conduct a 70-voice ensemble and look like the Cat in the Hat in a tuxedo?)

The Horescus: Yeah, that's cheating. They're definitely family. At least they will speak Romanian to me.

—your crazy wife

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The very blog you are writing is itself a ministry and an important one at that. If only more Orthodox priests and their wives would do the same as time allows, imagine the impact it would have upon the lives of not only parishoners but also the world that visits online. Perhaps the Orthodox Patriarch should consider encouraging priests and their wives to do as you and your wife do and create their own blogs as a window to Orthodox life and, by extension, participate in "e-vangelism" online.

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home