Saturday, June 11, 2005

Eucharist

I occasionally help with Liturgy at two nursing homes. It never fails to strike a chord. One of the ladies who was brought downstairs for the Liturgy was crying during the service and especially so when she received the Eucharist. It reminded me of St. Simeon the New Theologian. My memory fails me whether he said that the priest should be in tears when he celebrates the Eucharist or that everyone should be in tears when receiving the Body and Blood of Christ. However, the spirit of that saying was manifested to me in the tears of one woman at a nursing home. I pray that when, God willing, I will be a servant at His Holy Table, I will have the faith and love I saw before me today.

1 Comments:

Blogger existentialist said...

Thank you for reminding of this. I have often have tears lately when I approach the chalice and I am not used to do this. Apparently it was I am supposed to do, cry on the approach to my Lord and God.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home