Monday, June 06, 2005

Summer thoughts

Well, as my wife details over in her corner of the internet, we have been busy moving things around in our apartment. I discovered this morning that the living room now echoes when I sing - but she probably shouldn't find out about it :)

The Liturgical Greek course is proving very helpful. This morning I found myself understanding about 75% of the epistle as I was reading it. Of course, there's still a long way to go, especially in terms of vocabulary, but it's nice to be able to look and see progress. Tonight we have a Vigil for St. Panagi (19th c. Greece), whose relics we have in the chapel. That should provide me some extra practice with reading/chanting Greek.

As a side note, our Greek professor has been taking the time to discuss the conotations of a number of words in the text (petitions, prayers, psalms). It makes for a much deeper understanding than merely knowing the 'dictionary meaning' of the word. Another helpful aspect is the Greek tendency to express concepts by adding prepositions to root words - in addition to learning the meaning of the word, this provides a look into the origins of the concept and how it was understood in relation to other words in the language. Quite enjoyable.

Among the three activities hinted at above (Greek, chant, apartment rearrangement), my time is pretty much exhausted. As is this post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home