Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Phone message

I could have titled this "how to be a jerk without knowing it (but having a pretty good idea)."

Our answering machine message for the last couple of weeks has been "You have reached ***-***-****. Please factor the number into prime factors and leave a message." At some point I started factoring the number myself, but after the first couple of prime factors, it was slow going so I figured I wouldn't spend more time on it. Good thing, too. My wife informs me that the number that was left after the initial factoring was the product of just two primes: 10061 and 30689.

2 Comments:

Blogger magda said...

My husband doesn't usually check the messages, so I make it a point to. This particular obnoxious out-going message has led to the consternation of many:

"Ha-ha-ha! That's really funny. Now I forgot what I was going to say."
"Um. [pause] Can I just leave a message?"
[This from Fr. Gerasimos:] "Well, I would, but I don't have a calculator handy."

I used to have a list of other wretched things my husband did with the answering machine messages, but I'm sure he'll surpass himself without reminders.

6:51 PM  
Blogger existentialist said...

Hi Virgil. I wanted to email you about some things we were discussing that I deleted out of fear on my blog. Would you be willing to send me your email? Mine is on my contact page.

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home