Friday, January 06, 2006

Hospital Ministry

One of the most humbling experiences so far has been my hospital ministry. It is, at times, very difficult to face people whose entire lives have been turned upside down by illness or accident. It is just as difficult to encounter the patients who want to have nothing to do with people who in any way represent God. And then there are the other people, who bring inspiration not just for now, but for a long time to come; the people who remain hopeful and faithful despite long stays in the hospital, despite hardships and difficulties. In those cases, their presence is as much a ministry to me as my presence is to them and I can only thank God for showing me through them examples of faith.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you do this already but if not...for those that do not already do so and if they are of a mind to do it--particularly those in chronic pain or near the end of life--teach them the Jesus Prayer. Again, if they seem to be open to the possibility and are not already repeating the Jesus Prayer while resting in their hospital bed.

Just a thought.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Virgil Petrisor said...

Thank you for the thought. I hadn't actually thought about that, partly because most of the people I see are not Orthodox, so I don't presume to do much in terms of giving advice (I usually just try and listen and offer a prayer). It's a good thing to have in mind, though, so thank you again.

in Christ,
vp

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home