Thursday, March 27, 2008

Preaching...

I have now been here for over six months, so I can start looking back at a few things. One of the funniest is the way I ended up preaching the way I do... My first Sunday here as an assistant priest, Fr. James, the proistamenos invited me to preach. So I carefully prepared my sermon, wrote it out, revised it a couple of times... and promptly forgot to take it with me when the time came for me to give the sermon. At that point I thought: "Well... I don't have something to read, I might as well not go to the pulpit, but give the sermon from the solea... and we'll see how it goes."

All in all, it went fairly well. Well enough that I've continued the same way ever since. It wasn't something that I had planned on doing; just one in a long series of things that worked out in unexpected ways. The only problem is that my lovely wife keeps wanting me to put some of my sermons online and there is almost always something in the 'live' version that either I hadn't put on paper, or that simply came out better in church than it had been in the preparation stage. So, until I invest in a recorder, I'll have to try to come up with approximations. Hopefully later on today I will have a first approximation posted...

3 Comments:

Blogger Be Transfigured Ministries said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Be Transfigured Ministries said...

I had a typo.....what I meant to say was...

Why don't you publish the version you prepared and leave the live version for those who were there to hear it?

6:33 PM  
Blogger Virgil Petrisor said...

Well, as Magda said, "because that doesn't leave enough room for the Holy Spirit." In other words, it has happened several times that I prepared a sermon but on Sunday morning (sometimes before, sometimes during the Divine Liturgy) something new came to me and the sermon changed quite a bit between the prepared version and the delivered one.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home