Monday, July 18, 2005

Post-vacation

Thanks in part to the Orthodox blogging community, the time away from Holy Cross was absolutely wonderful (except for car breakdowns, but you really can't expect everything to go smoothly - life would lose its peculiar charm :).

Both my wife and I loved our brief visit to Holy Cross Orthodox Church in Linthicum Heights, MD. I had long had the thought that a meal following the Divine Liturgy could be a way for the parish to know one another and to form the sort of Christian fellowship that the early church experienced. This past Sunday was the first chance that I had to see that take place. It was wonderful to see a parish in which the people "enjoy one another's company" in Fr. Gregory's words.

The parish of St. Philothea in Augusta, GA, was also a wonderful visit. It is a small parish whose parishioners cover a multitude of ethnic backgrounds. It is a mission parish, of modest means, but there is, again, an atmosphere that echoes - at least for me - the early Christians. Perhaps it is the Southern hospitality, combines with Eastern European cooking, and with the intimacy which can easily accompany a small parish. In any case, it was a blessing to spend some time there.

I need to answer my wife's call to speak about five things I miss about my childhood. That, next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home